Are you ready to teach your first grader the concepts of what a fraction is, but you don’t know where to start? You’ve landed in the right spot. The resources linked here are great for teaching whole, halves, and quarters. I recommend teaching these concepts before teaching time. Once your first grader has mastered understanding these three concepts of fractions, teaching half hour and quarter hour gets much easier!
If you’re not sure where to start at all in teaching these concepts, some great lesson plan ideas for teaching fractions are linked here.
If you want to give it a go on your own without having to sort through fraction lesson plans, the videos linked below coupled with the corresponding games and activities make for a great four day fractions lesson plan that will help your child master the concepts.
- Video 1: Fractions Mini Movie
- Video 2: Learning Fractions with Pizza
- Video 3: Give Me Half Read Aloud
- Video 4: Understanding Fractions
Games & Activities
Each of these activities was selected to go with the corresponding video linked above.
- Activity 1: Fractions Coloring (p. 14)
- Activity 2: Mama Mia’s Pizza Match Game
- Activity 3: Fraction Bingo
- Activity 4: Fractions Race to the Top (p. 19)
Once your child has mastered the concept of fractions, this lesson and activity are a great way to celebrate while tying art and math into one lesson on fractions.